WHITE CITY, Ore. — A Eugene man lies in Rogue Regional Medical Center with critical injuries after reportedly being struck by two different vehicles while crossing Highway 62 near milepost 5.
Troopers with the Oregon State Police (OSP) and emergency crews responded to the area after receiving calls about a man being hit by a vehicle on Saturday just before midnight.
Investigators believe that 39-year-old Jason Ziegler of Medford was driving his 2004 Jeep Cherokee westbound on Highway 62 when he hit 39-year-old pedestrian Ignacio Hernandez of Eugene. Hernandez was apparently in the roadway when the collision occurred.
Ziegler stopped at the scene and called 911 to report the incident. Witnesses then say that a second vehicle struck Hernandez where he lay, but the driver did not stop.
OSP reports that Ziegler has been cooperating fully with the investigation, while Hernandez is being treated for critical injuries at the hospital in Medford.
Two westbound lanes were closed for about three hours during the course of the investigation.
Anyone with any information on the second vehicle that struck HERNANDEZ is asked to call the Oregon State Police Southern Command Center at 541-776-6111 and reference case number SP18-290557
- Witnesses Say Pedestrian Struck Twice by Vehicles, Critically Injured
- UPDATE: Hit-and-Run Driver Arrested After Pedestrians Struck in Downtown Portland
- Witness Describes Fiery Semi Crash
- Self-Driving Uber Kills Pedestrian in Arizona
- Woman Identified In Pedestrian vs. Car Fatal Accident
- Pedestrian Hit By Car in Fatal Accident Identified
- Driver Strikes and Kills Pedestrian in Rogue River
- Witness Says he Paid Rent to Warehouse Defendant
- Electric Vehicles On The Rise
- Multi-Vehicle Crash Causes Delays on I-5