REDDING, Calif. - A man who grew up in Medford has died in a head-on crash in Redding.
California Highway Patrol confirmed details of the crash.
It happened Sunday.
A CHP officer says a woman - identified as Grace Ward - began driving northbound in the southbound lanes on I-5.
Highway Patrol says ward crashed into another car head-on.
The driver in the other car was identified as a 29-year-old Medford man, Ryan Folsom.
Highway Patrol says Ward's car overturned and came to rest on the center median.
Annie Garcia, a Sergeant for California Highway Patrol says, “We got reports of a wrong way driver vehicle went through the center divider of the southbound 5 south of Knighton road. Shortly after that, we got a call of a vehicle collision with a car on fire.”
Ward was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
A report from California Highway Patrol says Ward may have been suicidal but they're still investigating.
The victim in this crash, Ryan Folsom, grew up in Medford.
A close friend tells NewsWatch 12 Ryan was on his way to becoming a doctor.
Ryan's friend, Ian, says Ryan was headed south on interstate 5 as he had interviews lined up for a residency.
Ryan, who went to medical school in San Antonio, was on his way to making his dreams of becoming a doctor come true.
Ian has started a GoFundMe campaign for the family.
Ryan is survived by his wife and two kids, with a third baby on the way.
Ian Cropper says, "Ryan as a person, the best way to describe him is instantly your best friend, he had a boisterous laugh and he was a really quality person. Of all people that this could have happened to, that this happened to Ryan is really tragic, the guy who wanted to be a doctor because he loved the idea of saving people’s lives.
Ian says Ryan was a member of the local LDS church.
He also graduated from North Medford High School.
If you want to help the Folsom family, you can click here.
- Victim of Head-On Crash Leaves Behind Pregnant Wife & Two Kids
- Senator Tammy Duckworth is Pregnant
- Keeping Pregnant Moms Healthy During Flu Season
- Shady Cove Man Dies in Highway 140 Head-On Crash
- Person Dead After Head-On Crash in Grants Pass
- Fire Crews Use Jaws of Life in Head On Crash
- UPDATE: Near Head-On Crash Kills Driver in Rogue River
- Fiery Head-On Crash Sends Three to Hospital
- Multi-Vehicle Crash On Hwy. 199 Leaves One Dead
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in Fatal Grants Pass Crash