Medford, OR. -- Victory Place, an affordable housing complex for veterans, opened on Friday. It's one of 17 housing projects ACCESS has developed over the past 20 years.
When service members were coming home from Vietnam, many were not welcomed home with open arms. One Vietnam veteran told NewsWatch12 this new affordable housing complex is the welcome home he's been waiting for.
Brian Griffin was in Vietnam from December 1967 to February of 1969. He says when he got home he was expected to seamlessly assimilate back into normal life.
"I just hid myself, I hid my feelings," says Griffin.
Brian says he never felt as though he had a place to go, and that services were for people who he thought had it worse off.
"I always figured other guys needed more help than me," says Griffin.
In August of this year, Brian had a stroke. He was no longer able to live in his remote home because it didn't have wheelchair access. That's when his son-in-law, and fellow veteran, stepped in. He's the one that signed Brian up for housing assistance through ACCESS.
"Now to have a real place to call home, and have that supported by the community and by veterans is really important for him," says John Acosta.
Brian and his wife Anna will be living in one of the 17 housing units at Victory Place. John says this housing complex is not only a place to live, but a place to heal with people who are going through similar challenges.
"Because it's been 30 to 40 years and theres still healing that needs to be done. I think that other veterans and being apart of that community will help," says Acosta.
- New Affordable Housing Complex Opens for Veterans
- Veteran says Housing Complex is the Welcome Home He Always Wanted
- Community Rebuilds Vietnam Veteran's Home
- Local Veteran Gets Keys to New Home
- Bergdahl Judge Weighed Complex Leniency Factors
- Making a House a Home
- UPDATE: Shots Fired in Hostage Situation at California Veterans Home
- 130 Veterans Attend First Grants Pass Veteran's Breakfast
- Hayden Homes
- Evacuations Warnings Issued North of Wimer Due to Garner Complex Fires