PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - The Oregon Department of Corrections has granted a transgender inmate's request to transfer to the state's women's prison.
Michalle Wright was transferred from the Oregon State Correctional Institution in Salem to the Coffee Creek Correctional Institution in Wilsonville on Monday.
She is in prison for attempted robbery.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reports the 27-year-old's transfer request was granted after her 2016 lawsuit against the state forced policy changes.
The state's online inmate database originally listed Wright as male, even though she has identified as a woman since she was 16.
As of Tuesday, Wright was listed as a female.
Last year, the department granted Wright's request for hormone treatment.
Wright has also requested an orchiectomy, a surgical procedure to remove her testicles.
The department decline to comment on the status of that request.
- Transgender Inmate Allowed to Transfer to Women's Prison
- Larry Nassar transferred to federal prison in Arizona
- Martin Shkreli transferred to prison in New Jersey
- Inmate's Selfie Sparks Investigation at Pennsylvania Prison
- Coding program aims to prepare inmates at the Indiana Women's Prison for a career
- Inmate dies following fight at Telfair State Prison
- 3 inmates in hospital after fight at Utah State Prison
- Inmate admits to murder on Facebook from prison cell
- 7 inmates killed in fights at South Carolina prison
- Prison guard becomes inmate after arrest for sexual battery