WASCO Co., Ore. -- On Monday, December 25th at approximately 3:25PM, OSP Troopers from Portland and The Dalles responded to the report of a two vehicle crash on Hwy 26 near milepost 65 in Wasco County.
This location is just east of the intersection of Hwy 35.
Preliminary investigation revealed a white 2008 Nissan Versa was eastbound when it lost traction and crossed into the westbound lane in the path of an oncoming 2018 Subaru Outback.
The Versa was struck at an angle in the passenger's side doors. The driver of the Versa was identified as 48 year old Deirdre Lynne Mackey from Lake Oswego. The right front passenger of the Versa was identified as the 12 year old female juvenile daughter of Mackey. Both were pronounced deceased at the scene.
The driver of the Subaru was identified as 41-year-old Darrow Geordan Rupp and his passenger 39-year-old Maria Suzanne Veltman, both from Portland.
Rupp and Veltman were transported to Legacy Emanuel for non-life threatening injuries.
Highway 26 was completely closed or limited to one lane of travel while this crash was being investigated for just over ten hours before being re-opened. Driving too fast for the conditions is being considered a factor in this crash. The investigation is continuing. OSP was assisted by ODOT the Hoodland Fire Department.
- Two-Vehicle Crash Claims Two Lives On Highway 26
- Crash on Highway 199
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Two Vehicle Crash Blocking Lane on Highway 62
- Multi-Vehicle Crash Causes Delays on I-5
- Shady Cove Man Dies in Highway 140 Head-On Crash
- Passenger Killed in Rollover Crash on Williams Highway
- One Man Dead After Crash On Highway 199
- 2 Killed in Highway 140 Crash near Kershaw Road
- Deadly Crash Blocks Traffic on Highway 140 Near White City
- Crash Involving Three Cars On Butte Falls Highway