MEDFORD, Ore. -- Southern Oregon is a national leader in creating a positive learning environment.
The Phoenix-Talent School District was the first to launch the PAX Good Behavior Game. Now, it's being used in 10 out of the 11 school districts in Jackson and Josephine counties.
The PAX Good Behavior Game is a set of strategies to help young kids learn to focus, use self-control, and effectively communicate in the classroom.
Without adult help, students create a word-map of things they would like to see, hear, feel, and do more often in the classroom, like "laughter," "happiness," "more P.E.," or "having homework done." These are called PAX. Bad things are called "spleems."
Then before activities, teachers ask student to anticipate what PAX and spleems might apply to them during that situation. Students are divided into teams, and the teacher pinpoints PAX and spleems they see throughout the game, without calling out students by name.
According to AllCare Health, some of the program benefits include:
- Fewer young people needing any form of special education services,
- More students graduating from high school and attending college,
- Fewer young people committing and being convicted of serious violent crimes,
- Fewer young people developing serious drug or alcohol addictions or using tobacco,
- Fewer young people contemplating suicide.
"The PAX Good Behavior Game really teaches about self-regulation," said Jessica Durruant, the K-8 director of curriculum and instruction at Three Rivers ISD. "When students are able to self-regulate in a trauma-informed care way, it leads to an increase amount of time for instruction in the classroom, which is always our goal."
- Southern Oregon Leads Nation In School Positive Reinforcement
- Oregon to Lead National Suit Against CenturyLink
- National Guard, FEMA on Standby for Southern Oregon Wildfires
- Marijuana Activists: Oregon Can Lead Nation in Cannabis Industry
- OSAA Reclassification to Impact 6A, 5A, 3A Southern Oregon Schools
- Southern Oregon Fire Crews Aid Southern California in Wildfire Fight
- Oscar Nominations Connect Hollywood to Southern Oregon
- Thousands Seek Flu Treatment In Southern Oregon
- Crabbing Closed Along Southern Oregon Coast
- Southern Oregon Tops State in Gas Prices