CAMANO ISLAND, Wash. (AP) - A Washington state sheriff says the body of a woman found near a gun- and ammo-filled bunker last weekend had been decapitated, and a man sought in the case is on the loose and possibly headed for California.
The Island County coroner identified the victim as 26-year-old Katherine Cunningham. Detectives found her body Saturday on an undeveloped parcel of land on Camano Island, north of Seattle.
Nearby, investigators discovered a bunker dug into a hillside containing supplies, guns and ammo.
Island County Sheriff Mark Brown said Wednesday that police are looking for 34-year-old Jacob Gonzales, whom he called a person of interest.
Gonzales is believed to be armed and driving a green 1990 Mitsubishi Montero, with Washington license plate AYE2639.
Police believe that Cunningham and Gonzales may have been living on the property.
- Sheriff: Person of Interest in Decapitation May Be Driving Through Oregon
- Authorities Identify Suspect in Decapitation Murder
- UPDATE: Car Found Abandoned in Yreka Belonged to Decapitation Victim
- Patrol Sergeant Files Lawsuit Against Oregon Sheriff
- New School For Those Interested In Politics
- Man Fleeing From Police Drives Off Oregon Pier
- Oregon Shakespeare Festival Offers $10 Tickets With Food Drive Donations
- Oregon Senator Among Those Featured in Time "Person of the Year"
- Sheriff's Office Searching for Man
- UPDATE: Person Dead After Hitting Tree