KLAMATH FALLS, Ore.- Klamath Falls Police say around 2PM Wednesday, a call came in to report an assault where a man with an axe was threatening employees at Chase Bank. Witnesses say they also saw the man use an axe to damage the outside ATM.
Police say 35- year- old Shane Matthews left in a blue Honda sedan before officers could get to the scene.
A Klamath Falls Police Officer spotted the blue Honda traveling north on Crater Lake Parkway near Campus Drive. The officer is reported trying to stop the car, but Matthews is reported to have continued driving.
This is when Oregon State Police and Klamath County Sheriff's Office assisted with the pursuit. Officers set up spike strips on both lanes of travel, blocking north and southbound traffic on Highway 97 near Collier State Park. When the car stopped, the driver was taken into custody without any further incident.
Shane Matthews is charged with:
- Criminal Mischief I- Class C Felony
- Fleeing or Attempting to Elude a Police Officer- Class C Felony
- Unlawful Use of a Weapon- Class C Felony
- Found counts Menacing, Class A Misdemeanor
- Police Say Man Threatens Bank Employees with Axe; Leads Police on Pursuit
- Police: Klamath Falls Man 'Threatened to Cause An Explosion'
- Medford Police Arrest Bank Robbery Suspect
- Police Seek Bank Robber in Grants Pass
- Klamath Falls Man Arrested After Pursuit
- Oregon State Police Investigate Life-Threatening Stabbing Outside Bar
- Man Accused of Threatening Oregon Lottery Headquarters
- Klamath Falls Man Arrested in Douglas County After Deputy Pursuit
- Police say drivers street racing leads to crash in Medford
- Man 'on LSD' Leads Police on Wild Car Chase in Jackson County