MERLIN, Ore. —
UPDATE: Authorities have released the names of the victim and suspect in an apparent murder-suicide near Merlin after families were notified.
The victim, 27-year-old Kristina L. Mehaffey was from the Josephine County area. The suspect, 28-year-old, Jeremy L. Sweet was also from Josephine County.
A news release from OSP did not contain any other new details regarding the case or investigation.
(Updated as of 12:45 p.m. on Monday, July 16)
INITIAL REPORT: Investigators from Oregon State Police (OSP) have concluded that two deaths near Merlin were part of a murder-suicide incident.
Reports of a domestic disturbance came in around 11 p.m. on Wednesday night. When troopers arrived at the scene, they found a passenger van in the driveway of an address on Tina Way. They found a woman dead in the driver's seat.
About a mile away from this scene, troopers found a second vehicle on Portland Avenue—this one apparently driven by man, dead from a gunshot wound that appeared to be self-inflicted, according to OSP.
OSP investigators believe that the man confronted the woman, killing her and then later taking his own life.
Names of both parties will be released once family has been notified, OSP said. No other information is available at this time.
- UPDATE: Victim, Suspect Identified from Apparent Murder-Suicide Near Merlin
- Apparent Murder-Suicide Investigated at Medford Home
- Merlin Sidewalk Project Halfway Finished
- Authorities Identify Suspect in Decapitation Murder
- UPDATE: Oregon State Police Investigating Shooting Near Merlin
- UPDATE: Power Outage in Merlin Hits Airport, Surrounding Area
- Late-Night Crash Near Merlin Under Investigation
- Sidewalk Showdown: Merlin Residents Disagree About Additions
- Josephine County Commissioners Approve Merlin Sidewalk Project
- Merlin Business Helping Families with Autism