PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - The state has announced it will temporarily increase penalties for those who unintentionally sell marijuana to minors.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reports the announcement was made Thursday by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, which oversees the state's recreational marijuana industry.
Southern Oregon dispensaries have a 67% compliance rate according to the OLCC.
On December 29, 2017, marijuana inspectors visited 12 licensed marijuana retailers in Southern Oregon.
4 failed a check for prohibiting sales to a minor volunteer.
The OLCC says the dispensaries that did NOT sell to minors include: House of Leaves Ashland, House of Leaves Medford, Talent Health Club, Top Shelf Wellness, La Mota, Wicked Flower Shop, Sensible Cannabis, and Breeze Botanicals.
The dispensaries that DID sell to a minor include: Hijinx Cannabis Company, Cannabiz Experience, Rogue River Herbal, and Rogue River Cannabis.
It comes on the heels of a statewide sting in December in which almost 20 percent of state-licensed marijuana retailers sold pot to customers under 21.
The commission's executive director Steve Marks called the results of the operation "unacceptable."
In response, the commission announced it will triple penalties for those who sell marijuana to minors unintentionally.
Those first-time offenders will now face a 30-day license suspension or a fine of $4,950. The previous penalty was a 10-day license suspension or a $1,650 fine.
The temporary rule will take effect Friday and remain in effect for six months.
- Penalties Tripled For Underage Marijuana Sales
- Oregon Regulators Suggest Higher Penalties for Marijuana Sales to Minors
- Police Arrest Suspect in Dating App Sexual Assaults on Underage Victims
- Marijuana-Related Stocks Plummet
- Marijuana Ordinance Reversed
- AIFF Tickets on Sale
- ODFW Reminds Hunters To Avoid Penalty And Report Hunt Results
- Oregon Wildfire Nearly Triples in Size; Threatens Structures
- How Triple Digit Temperatures and Smoke Will Impact Your Body
- Deadline Looming for Medical Marijuana Growers