ACROSS OREGON-- Oregon continues to reform its rape kit backlog-- with the recent passage of a statewide tracking system.
It's one of many pieces of legislation aimed at making sure kits don't sit untested for years.
Just a few years ago, Oregon State Police said there were over 5000 kits waiting to be tested, now there are around 1000 left to be tested.
The backlog progress comes after a state law ordered quicker testing and more funding.
Labs, both in and out of the state, are within months of finishing tests on thousands of older kits that had built up in police custody...since 1983.
Survivor and activist Danielle Tudor says with the passage of the new tracking system, Oregon has completed its last pillar of backlog reform.
Danielle Tudor says, "The hope and the goal is that it will inspire future victims to think twice and think, hey maybe it is worth it for me to report my rape and have that kit done because they are going to do something with it. I have a fair chance at justice."
Tudor says they will be putting together a task force to decide which tracking system will be implemented.
She says we may use the system the Portland Police Bureau invented which uses barcodes and keeps victims up to date on the progress of their kits.
Oregon along with California, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Utah are some of the few states that have given survivors the right to know the status of their kit.
- Oregon To Implement Statewide Rape Kit Tracking System
- Oregon Law Enforcement Nears Elimination of Backlogged Rape Kits
- Secretary of State Evaluates Oregon's Processing of Backlogged 'Rape Kits'
- Principal Implements System to Stop Bullying at Medford Elementary School
- Oregon Group Files Petition to Ban ‘Assault Weapons’ Statewide
- School Safety: Local Schools Implement Armed Security
- Oregon Pension System Cost Exceeds Expected Return
- Body of Missouri Man Found Near Oregon Railroad Tracks
- Local Agencies Examine Impacts Of Statewide Child Abuse Epidemic
- Free Disaster Preparedness Kits Available Ahead of Fire Season