SALEM, Ore. -- 10 strike teams from Oregon are heading to southern California to help with the huge fires. One of those teams is from the Rogue Valley. The other strike teams already on their way are from Lane, Multnomah, Washington, Linn, Marion, Clackamas, Klamath, Yamhill, a combined team from Polk, Linn, and Benton counties. The Oregon county fire defense board chiefs activated the teams after a request from California yesterday evening. In response, the Oregon State Fire Marshal activated its emergency mobilization plan, sending out the request for assistance to all Oregon fire agencies.
Five additional strike teams are being ordered and will be enroute later today.
This is the result of the Emergency Management Assistance Compact. Oregon will also be providing an Agency Operations Center and equipment.
California fire officials submitted a request asking for assistance yesterday evening from Oregon.
"Oregon fire agencies have again answered the call and we are honored to assist our neighbors for the second time this year, said Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Mariana Ruiz-Temple. "California helped us with the fires in southern Oregon this year, we assisted them in October and I am proud that we can again assist them in their time of need."
California made the request through the Emergency Management Assistance Compact a national state-to-state mutual aid system. The EMAC request is sent directly to Oregon Emergency Management who contact and coordinate with the appropriate Oregon agency to fulfill the requests.
Yesterday, NewsWatch 12 reported on the Siskiyou County assistance being providided to southern California. Read that story here.
- Oregon Fire Fighters and Equipment head to Southern California
- Southern Oregon Fire Crews Aid Southern California in Wildfire Fight
- Family Missing On Trip From Oregon to Southern California
- UPDATE: What Oregon Strike Teams are doing in Southern California
- Siskiyou County Fire Crews Help Fight Southern California Wildfires
- New Evacuations as Southern California Fire Flares Up
- Oscar Nominations Connect Hollywood to Southern Oregon
- Thousands Seek Flu Treatment In Southern Oregon
- Crabbing Closed Along Southern Oregon Coast
- Southern Oregon Tops State in Gas Prices