SEVERE WX: Fire Weather Watch View Alerts

Medford Woman Saved from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A Medford woman is alive today because dispatchers sent firefighters to her home after she slept through her carbon monoxide alarm.

Posted: Feb. 21, 2018 5:44 PM
Updated: Feb. 21, 2018 5:45 PM

MEDFORD, Ore.- Sharon Lausman was baking a roast in the oven of her Medford home when a carbon monoxide detector activated. Sound asleep, Sharon did not hear the alarms. She was awakened by a phone call from an ADT emergency dispatcher in Irving, TX. The dispatcher advised Sharon to leave the home with her dog and cat while she contacted Medford Fire-Rescue.

Firefighters used portable gas detectors to determine there were life-threatening levels of the "silent killer" in the home, coming from a malfunctioning gas oven. Sharon believes her life was saved and met her "heroes" during an emotional reunion at her home today.

ADT Security awarded Medford Fire-Rescue a $5,000 Lifesaver award for their response to a life-long Medford resident who experienced a carbon monoxide emergency in December. Firefighters say that money is going towards cancer research.

According to the CDC, carbon monoxide kills 500 Americans each year and poisons 50,000 more. A report from the Oregon Health Authority states 20 Oregon residents died from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning in 2016. The latest carbon monoxide incident was Jan. 28 in Eugene. 

Article Comments

Medford
Scattered Clouds
50° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 50°
Brookings
Clear
59° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 47°
Feels Like: 59°
Crater Lake
Clear
39° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 33°
Feels Like: 39°
Grants Pass
Clear
45° wxIcon
Hi: 72° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 45°
Klamath Falls
Clear
39° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 39°
Cool & Breezy Sunday
KDRV Radar
KDRV Fire Danger
KDRV Weather Cam

Latest Video

Image

SOU Moves to 4-0 with First Shut Out Since 2003

Image

Smart Meter Workshop Met with Protesters

Image

Cool End to the Weekend

Image

Friday Night Blitz Week Four

Image

FNB Week Four

Image

VIDEO FORECAST: Fall-like Weekend

Image

New Resident Deputy Program in Josephine County

Image

First Heroin Overdose In Hawthorne Park This Year

Image

Smart Meter Concerns in Rogue Valley

Image

Friday Football Forecast - Southridge vs. Grants Pass

Community Events