MEDFORD, Ore.-- One man who lives not far down the road ran into the burning home not once, but twice. The first time was to make sure no one was inside. The second -- to grab any sort of memories he thought the family might want.
Brendan Hurd did what he thought was the right thing to do once he saw flames and smoke from down the street. It all started when his friend came over to visit.
“He bought a new truck which was kind of random. He just wanted to show it to me. So he showed up and we went for test drive and as soon as we came out of here we saw all the smoke," Hurd added.
That's when the two sprang into action, immediately heading to the front doors of the house on fire. They ran in making sure no one was inside and ran inside again to see if there was anything precious that could be saved before the home was completely destroyed.
"I don't know what's important to other people but I know what's important to me. Down the hall where the fire started to come in, there was a bunch of pictures and little plaster hand prints of their kids you could see and stuff like that. So I started grabbing that stuff off the wall until I couldn't anymore," Hurd said.
The two also grabbed some hoses to try and put out some flames until the fire department got there. Hurd said he's glad he ran in twice.
"It was pretty obvious that was the only thing they were going to have left. If it were my house that would be stuff I would want. I ended up giving it to a neighbor that ended up giving it to them. I found out early this morning that they did end up receiving those items and they were really grateful for it.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office says two people suffered minor injuries from the fire. One was a firefighter, the other was a bystander. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
- Man Runs Into Burning Medford Home to Save Neighbor's Precious Items
- Neighbors, Family Help Save Homes in White City Fire
- Medford Woman Saved from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Overnight Fire Destroys Medford Home
- Memorial Run To Honor Medford Father
- Apparent Murder-Suicide Investigated at Medford Home
- Joint Sparks Fire at Medford Home
- Northern California Wildfires Prompt Evacuations, Burn Homes
- New Items On Oregon School Lunch Menus
- Fire Crews Save Home in Selma Fire