UPDATE: A new statement from the Klamath County School District said that, as of 1 p.m. today, law enforcement has finished investigation of the threatening image or message, reported to be circulating on social media. They did not find the threat to be credible, however they will be leveling criminal charges against one student for falsely reporting a threat.
CHILOQUIN, Ore. — Chiloquin High School in Klamath County is opening its doors on a normal schedule today, after a threatening image circulated on social media channels earlier this week. According to a statement from the District, the image urged parents to keep their students home in anticipation of an attack.
The District says that they have been working closely with the Klamath County Sheriff's Office (KCSO) to resolve and respond to the threat. They've advised everyone who received the image to not share or re-post it.
The Klamath County Sheriff's Office has apparently deemed the school safe—however, law enforcement, including School Resource Officers, will be present on campus today.
According to Randall Swan, Operations Lieutenant for Patrol with the KCSO, they are treating this "just like any other incident," and the KCSO will be tracking down the threat source by "any investigative means necessary, just like any other crime."
"It goes both ways. We have heard from parents as well as school officials. Obviously we're working very closely with the school officials as we always do. If it's a criminal incident, we'll investigate it and handle it on the criminal side, and if it's not, then the school handles it," Lieutenant Swann said, when asked whether the KCSO has heard from concerned parents about the school remaining open.
The District statement underlined that parents have the final say about whether to send their students into school in situations such as this.
- Klamath County School Stays Open After Threat Circulates
- Klamath County Declares Drought Emergency
- Klamath County School District Closer To Hiring New Superintendent
- Klamath County Libraries Offer Free Tax Help
- Two Drivers Injured in Klamath County Crash
- Klamath County Woman's Mysterious Death Sparks Investigation
- Klamath County Stabbing Suspect Taken Into Custody
- Suspect Sought in Klamath County Theft Case
- Klamath County Man Convicted on Felony Charges
- School Threat Suspect Charged