Photo Gallery 5 Images
Merlin, OR. -- Rural Metro Fire and Grants Pass Fire say they were dispatched to a reported structure fire with people screaming in the 3900 blk of Highland Ave.
Firefighters say they arrived to find a converted food truck with make-shift shelter on fire. Crews say the fire was quickly contained, but unfortunately a dog was unable to escape.
Rural Metro Fire says one person who attempted to rescue the dog prior to arrival of fire crews, received minor burns and was treated on scene by medics from American Medical Response. Fire crews say seven people were displaced by the fire. No other injuries were reported.
Rural Metro firefighters say they arranged for Red Cross assistance and recovery of the dog.
Fire crews say the cause is suspected to be from a portable gas-fueled heater inside the shelter. They say tarps and blankets draped inside the shelter are believed to have accelerated the fire.
- Food Truck Converted into Shelter Catches on Fire
- Several Grants Pass Businesses Catch Fire Overnight
- RV Catches On Fire In Gold Hill
- Van Catches Fire In Medford Parking Lot
- At The Market: Food Trucks and Truffle Pig
- Winter Shelters Open In Ashland
- Security Camera Helps Catch Package Theft Suspect
- Norovirus: Easy to Catch, Hard to Kill
- Feral Cat Problem Leads to Shelter Overcrowding
- Red Cross To Close Grants Pass Shelter