CENTRAL POINT, Ore. -- Favorable weather conditions have put construction crews ahead as they work to finish an update to Central Point's East Pine Street.
"We're a third of a way through with the project," said Central Point Parks and Public Works Director Matt Samitore. "We're actually proceeding faster than what we would normally anticipate for this project. The winter weather is definitely helping us and helping our construction crew. We actually just allowed [crews] to move forward with what we consider the halfway point."
Construction began back in October 2017. Samitore says the city did not anticipate construction finishing until December 2018 but that the project could get done as early as late summer 2018.
The downtown area is currently full of construction equipment, cracked sidewalks, and lane closures but Samitore says locals will begin to see the project really come together over the coming weeks. The so called, "East Pine Streetscape" will add new traffic signals, ornamental lighting, street trees and widened sidewalks.
The project received initial pushback after business owners in the city's downtown voiced concerns about construction making storefronts inaccessible. The city says it has kept store owners in mind throughout the entire process.
"We've been talking a lot to specific businesses about what their needs are and there are several of them that have specific dates and times and other things that they have going on," said Samitore. "For example the Central Point Florist has asked please make sure that parking is available in front of their store for Mother's Day and Valentine's day those are big days for them. We'll make sure parking is available"
You can get updates on the East Pine Streetscape here.
- East Pine Street Construction Reaches Halfway Point
- Hendrix, Natchez, Sugar Pine & Umpqua Complex Fires: Hendrix Halfway Contained
- Merlin Sidewalk Project Halfway Finished
- Highway 62 Expressway Over Halfway Done
- Governor Declares Sugar Pine Fire a 'Conflagration'
- Street Tacos
- IHOP Construction Proposal Approved
- Road Closure in East Medford
- Home Burns as Sugar Pine, Miles Fire Merge and Surge South
- Hundreds Line Streets in Eagle Point for Annual Independence Day Parade