COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. (AP) — Deputies shot and killed a man after responding to a dispute involving gunfire at a commercial marijuana facility in Cottage Grove, Oregon.
Sgt. Carrie Carver of the Lane County Sheriff's Office said Thursday that deputies initially couldn't find the suspect on the large parcel of land. They eventually discovered a building where they believed the man was hiding, and used a loud speaker to call inside.
She said the man left the building at 3:45 a.m. and "engaged deputies with a firearm." Two deputies fired rounds, striking the suspect who was then taken to a hospital where he died.
Carver identified the man as 40-year-old Joey K. Loop.
No deputies were hurt.
Investigators are looking into whether the use of force was legally justified. The deputies will remain on paid administrative leave during the investigation.
[Note: Updated by the AP with the man's identity and the fact that he died after being hospitalized.]
- UPDATE: Deputies Shoot Suspect at Oregon Marijuana Facility
- UPDATE: Suspects Identified in Marijuana-Related Armed Robbery
- Deputies Arrest Sexual Assault Suspect
- Deputies Seek Suspected Prospect Flasher
- Oregon to Pause Accepting Marijuana License Applications
- Non-Profit Opens First Hospice Care Facility in Southern Oregon
- UPDATE: Oregon State Police Investigating Shooting Near Merlin
- Deputies Seek Help in Locating Fraud Suspect
- Slain Deputy's Handcuffs Used to Arrest Suspect
- Marijuana Activists: Oregon Can Lead Nation in Cannabis Industry