WHITE CITY, Ore. -- A large piece of construction equipment stolen from the Schnitzer Steel in White City was found Tuesday in Josephine County but investigators still are not sure how it got there. Jackson County Sheriff’s deputies said your tips and news coverage helped them find the $250,000 piece of equipment.
"This is a very expensive piece of equipment and we generally don't see a theft of this value but with a lot of businesses in the area that have valuable equipment it's not entirely unusual," said Sergeant Julie Denney with the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office.
This kind of theft is not something the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office sees every day.
“Generally when people steal things they throw things into their vehicles or into the back of a pick up or something like that so this is definitely different than an average theft," Sergeant Denney added.
Deputies said especially since what is typically stolen is your average car, truck or SUV. This time, it was just your average 47 foot long by 10 foot wide screener stolen from Schnitzer Steel in White City.
"It is a Big piece of equipment and you would think that that would be noticeable to other people on the road but being early in the morning they're probably weren't a lot of people around," Denney said.
Surveillance video shows thieves using a dolly to hook the screener to a dump truck before driving away between four and five in the morning on November 20th. Investigators don't know why or who even stole the screener but they don't think it was a spur of the moment theft.
"It would have to be planned to a certain degree logistically you had to have a truck you have to have a dolly to take it somewhere,” Denney added.
Deputies are working to recover the stolen equipment so it may be returned to Schnitzer Steel.
- Deputies Find Stolen Construction Equipment at a Josephine County Logging Company
- More Sheriff's Deputies Will Patrol Josephine County
- Josephine County Fair
- Controversy in Josephine County
- Josephine County Man Shot
- Josephine County Sheriff's Office Raising Money for Deputy With Cancer
- Sheriff: Josephine County Deputies Heading Back to Communities
- Josephine County Sheriff's Office: Missing Josephine County Man Found Safe
- Josephine County Vaccination Rates Drop
- Josephine County Commissioners Pass New Marijuana Ordinance