EAGLE POINT, Ore. -- Jackson County Search and Rescue with the help of Water Recovery, LCC spent the afternoon retrieving the boat that capsized with two men inside Tuesday. Sgt. Shawn Richards tells me it's not abnormal to be called to a rescue this time of year.
"We have people fishing for steelhead and salmon year round. It really isn't unusual. It just makes it a little scarier because of the cold water temperatures,” said Sgt. Shawn Richards.
Tuesday, Fire District 3 and 4 rescued two men stranded on an island in the middle of the Rogue River. Search and Rescue said their boat crashed into a branch causing the boat to flip and sink.
"The river is a changing thing. Every day it's changing. You just have to be aware of the hazards that are out there and work around them," Sgt. Shawn Richards added.
They then swam in about 43 degree water to the island where they were saved. Fire District 3 said it only took eight minutes to rescue them and no one was hurt. One of the men was able to text his wife where they were, which helped crews narrow down their search. Jackson County deputies were also on scene to help with the rescue and investigate. Sgt. Shawn Richards said the men had life jackets in the boat but were not wearing them.
"We always sell that. We want everyone to wear a life-jacket. It happens very quickly. Everything is going well. Next thing you know you're in the water and if you don't have your lifejacket on it definitely can cause you problems," He said.
Wednesday crews went back to get the boat and cut down the branch that caused it to flip. It took them about 2 hours.
- Crews Recover Boat After Tuesday's River Rescue
- Crews Backburn Close to the Rogue River
- Oregon State Police Recovers Car and Woman's Body from River
- Crews Recover Body of Firefighter Slain Near Yosemite
- Fire Crews Prep Illinois River Road For High Winds
- Marine Law Enforcement Practice Water Rescues in Rogue River
- Jackson County Search And Rescue Crews Stock Emergency Shelter
- Crews Work to Keep the Taylor Creek Fire from Jumping the Rogue River
- President George H.W. Bush Hospitalized, Recovering
- Scott River Watersed Below Average