Medford, OR. -- Four credit unions donated $80,698 to Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center and its children's unit. The four credit unions are Northwest Credit Union, Pacific Crest Credit Union, First Community Federal Credit Union, and Rogue Credit Union.
The four credit unions donated under the banner of "Credit Unions for Kids." This year Credit Unions for Kids raised a total of $20,698. Rogue Credit Union separately donated $60,000, the most it's ever raised.
"It gets to the roots of what credit unions are all about which is people helping people, joining together to make the lives better for even the smallest ones in our community today," says Rogue Credit Union CEO, Gene Pelham.
This year, the money was raised through a charity auction, and member and credit union employee donations.
"Bake sales, car washes, and I've bought so many things from different staff members I just say 'yes' when they ask anymore, it's all for a great cause," says Pelham.
The hospital says Christmas is a magical time for many kids, but it can be difficult for those who have to stay in the hospital. This is why the credit unions donate a wagon of toys along with the checks.
"They forget that they're sick, they forget that they have things in their arms, or that they're having to have special tests and they just get to be a kid. That's very exciting for all of us," says Manager of the Pediatric Unit, Michelle Cathcart.
The hospital says past donations allowed them to remodel their pediatric unit, and provide treatment options that are normally only available in Portland. The hospital says the community support is a big boost for the kids.
"For the kids it just really allows them to not feel different, and to know that they're cared for, and to know the community cares for them as well," says Cathcart.
The hospital says the $80,698 is going to directly impact their children's unit. It says the money is going towards patient care, facility upgrades, and new equipment.
- Credit Unions Donate Thousands to Local Hospital's Children's Unit
- Driver Runs Into Central Point Rogue Credit Union
- Stamp Out Hunger Campaign Brings in Thousands of Donations
- Flu Season Impacting Local Hospitals
- Local Reaction to State of the Union
- Thousands of Immigrants Facing Deportation
- Rogue Memorial Challenge Draws Thousands
- Target Recalls Thousands of $118 Dressers After They Tipped Over on Children
- Local Businesses Donate Food to Help Feed the Hungry
- Giant Cinnamon Roll Brings In Giant Donation To Local Charity