PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Two children have died from the flu in Oregon, both younger than 10.
Oregon Health Authority spokesman Jonathan Modie says one child died in December and the other in early January. One was younger than 5.
He declined to say where the children lived.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the flu season is severe this winter, with 14 pediatric deaths as of the last week of December.
In Oregon, labs have confirmed nearly 6,000 cases this season. It runs from October to April.
Pediatric flu deaths in the state aren't unusual but there were none last year.
- Child under the age of 5 dies of flu in Oregon
- Deadly Flu Active In Oregon
- Evangelist Billy Graham Dies at Age 99
- Thousands Seek Flu Treatment In Southern Oregon
- Report: Fewer Kindergarten-Age Kids Getting Vaccinated In Oregon
- Oregon Inmate Dies from Meth-laden Kiss
- Oregon Woman Dies from Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
- Oregon Agency Agrees To $1.3M Settlement For Foster Child
- Oregon Ex-Coach Pleads Guilty to Child Porn Charges