LOS ANGELES (AP) - Authorities say a gift-wrapped box of horse manure addressed to U.S. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin was found near his home in Los Angeles.
The package was found Saturday night in the tony Bel Air neighborhood after it was dropped off at a neighbor's house.
The Los Angeles Police Department's bomb squad was called to the home and officers opened the box, finding a pile of horse manure inside. Police said the package had been gift wrapped and was marked as being from "the American people."
Police said the Secret Service was taking over the investigation.
Representatives for the Secret Service and Treasury Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment Sunday.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Box Of Manure Sent To Treasury Secretary Mnuchin
- List of Official Ballot Drop Box Sites
- President Trump Fires V.A. Secretary Shulkin
- Thrift Store Employee Finds Mortar in Box of Donations
- DHS secretary: Border wall would help ease 'national crisis'
- Secretary Zinke Meets With Northwest Tribes Over Opioid Concerns
- Oregon's Secretary of State Defends Cambridge Analytica Connection
- Mike Pompeo Confirmed to be Secretary of State
- Lawmakers Lobby Secretary Zinke for Protection of Chetco River
- Secretary of State Evaluates Oregon's Processing of Backlogged 'Rape Kits'