LAS VEGAS, Nev. -- Ammon Bundy will remain out of U.S. custody during his Nevada trial over a 2014 armed standoff at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge last year.
Bundy walked out of a federal courthouse in Las Vegas Thursday. He was greeted by family and friends cheering as he walked out. He has been behind bars for nearly two years and will now be under house arrest.
Wednesday a judge ruled that Bundy, his father, Cliven Bundy; and a co-defendant could be released from jail while they stand trial. They've been charged in the Nevada standoff that stopped a federal roundup of Bundy cattle from public land.
Cliven Bundy refused the offer. Another son, Ryan Bundy, already was living at a halfway house while serving as his own attorney.
"I can't speak for my Dad but I understand his desire to stay in there to bring attention to this. There are still a lot of people incarcerated he feels responsibility for and he wants to make sure they're not forgotten," Ammon Bundy said.
Judge Gloria Navarro dismissed the jury before announcing her decision Wednesday afternoon, but she would not discuss what took place during the sealed hearing or why she changed her mind on a decision made in the days leading up to the trial.
"America's always been an example of freedom. All my family has ever tried to do it promote that. That's what this is all about," Ammon Bundy said.