ROSEBURG, Ore. (AP) — The Latest on the death of Oregon toddler left in hot vehicle (all times local):
The mother of an Oregon girl who died after being left in a hot car told officers she thought she had dropped her daughter off at daycare.
Roseburg police say in an affidavit that 38-year-old Nicole Engler found her 21-month-old daughter unconscious and blue after finishing her shift as a nurse practitioner at Evergreen Family Medicine.
Engler rushed the toddler back to the medical facility, but she could not be saved.
Engler has been charged with second-degree manslaughter. Court records do not list an attorney to speak on her behalf.
The outside temperature was about 80 degrees (26 Celsius) when the toddler was discovered in the backseat Thursday afternoon.
Authorities say an Oregon child died after being left unattended in a vehicle for several hours, and the child's mother has been charged with second-degree manslaughter.
The Roseburg Police Department says the vehicle was parked Thursday in a lot near Evergreen Family Medicine. The child was pronounced dead at Mercy Medical Center.
The department has not released the child's name, age or gender, and has not responded to a request for more information.
The mother, 38-year-old Nicole Engler of Roseburg, has been booked into the Douglas County Jail. It's unknown if she has a lawyer.
An online staff directory for Evergreen Family Medicine shows a woman with that name employed as a nurse practitioner. Evergreen referred questions about Engler to police.
- Oregon Child Dies after Being Left Unattended in Vehicle
- Starving Dog Left at Oregon Shelter Dies from Emaciation
- Employer Defends Oregon Woman Whose Child Died in Hot Car
- Child under the age of 5 dies of flu in Oregon
- Oregon Inmate Dies from Meth-laden Kiss
- Oregon Woman Dies from Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
- Oregon Agency Agrees To $1.3M Settlement For Foster Child
- Oregon Ex-Coach Pleads Guilty to Child Porn Charges
- Former Oregon Teaching Aide Gets 28 Years for Child Pornography
- UPDATE: Missing Oregon Woman and Child Found Dead