Photo Gallery 6 Images
UPDATE: OSP has identified the victims in a crash that sent a car over the side of Galice Road and into Hellgate Canyon on Saturday.
An injured man found in the roadway has been identified as 24-year-old Rodrigo Herrera of Grants Pass. He is currently still in the hospital.
A woman found dead near the crashed Honda Civic inside the canyon was 21-year-old Hailee Fox, also of Grants Pass.
According to OSP, the incident is still under investigation and no more information will be released until it is completed.
(Updated as of 3:15 p.m. on Monday, June 18)
UPDATE: Oregon State Police say preliminary investigation shows a Grants Pass woman called 911 to report a man had been assaulted and was in need of medical attention early Saturday morning.
OSP says the woman stayed on the phone with 911 and started driving to the hospital.
As troopers were responding to a call around 12:50 a.m. on Galice Road, they found the man in the middle of the road and evidence that a vehicle left the road and went into Hellgate Canyon.
Rural Metro Fire crews rappelled into the canyon and found a Honda Civic with a woman who had fatal injuries. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The investigation is still ongoing.
MERLIN, Ore. -- Rural Metro Fire says one person is dead and another injured after a car crash on Galice Road at the Hellgate Overlook around 12:35 a.m. this morning.
Crews say units that arrived found a seriously injured person in the roadway, and a car approximately 200-300 feet over the embankment. Firefighters say they descended the cliff and found a second occupant of the vehicle ejected just above the water line. Rural Metro Fire says that person was declared deceased.
An investigation is underway by OSP and the Josephine County Sheriff's Office to determine events that led to the crash. Rural Metro Fire says information obtained indicated that an assault occurred at a different location, and the vehicle was attempting to travel towards the hospital.
- UPDATE: Police Identify Victims in Crash Over Hellgate Embankment
- UPDATE: Police Identify Victims of Crash Between Motorcycle and Car
- UPDATE: Police Identify Victims in Fatal Crash on Highway 199
- Helicopter Lifts Car Out of Hellgate Canyon
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in Fatal Grants Pass Crash
- UPDATE: Victim Identified In Single-Car Crash Near Robertson Bridge
- Rural Metro Fire Saves Driver in Fiery Crash Over Embankment
- Driver Plunges 85 Feet Off Embankment
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in Fatal Stabbing in Selma
- UPDATE: Victim, Suspect Identified from Apparent Murder-Suicide Near Merlin