MEDFORD, Ore. — A man charged with Attempted Murder and Assault after shooting his erstwhile host with a handgun has been acquitted of all charges by a jury in Jackson County.
At the time of his arrest on May 3 of 2017, police said that Charles Curtis of Albuquerque, New Mexico had been staying with Medford-resident Daniel Daly and his girlfriend Diane Rose, when Daly and Rose got in a fight, causing Daly to leave the house.
When Daly returned, he found Curtis and Rose in the hot tub—and Curtis was naked.
Daly confronted Curtis, after which Curtis produced a handgun, shooting Daly in the arm. When police arrived at the house, they took Curtis into custody. The accused shooter was charged with Attempted Murder, Assault in the First Degree, Assault in the Second Degree, and Unlawful Use of a Weapon (Firearm).
When the case unfolded in court, however, Curtis' lawyer Christopher Missiaen argued a more complex sequence of events.
According to Missiaen's case, Daly threatened and assaulted Curtis several times prior to the shooting—telling Curtis that he would need to leave or Daly would 'kill him.' The defense also argued that Daly had been in intense conflict with Rose that night, and they attempted to establish a history of domestic violence in that relationship.
State evidence claimed that police dispatch had received multiple 911 calls that night regarding the house on Eagle Trace Drive. Some of them were calls to report the shooting, however they also reported a female caller saying "Domestic violence. Come now."
Missiaen argued that Daly had assaulted his client, slamming Curtis' head onto concrete and the side of the hot tub. It was when Daly returned for a second time that Curtis felt in fear of his life and produced a handgun, shooting Daly.
The defense's argument was enough to sway the Jackson County jury on Thursday, who ruled to acquit Curtis on all four charges, 10-2.
Missiaen said that his client is 'very happy to live in a country where we are innocent until proven guilty.'
- Man Accused of Naked Hot Tub Shooting Acquitted On All Counts
- Mexican Man Acquitted of San Francisco Murder Denied Bail
- Oregon State Police Investigate Naked Beach Attacker
- Immigrant Acquitted of Killing is Sentenced for Gun Charge
- Man Accused of Shooting Rifle in White City on Thanksgiving
- Sheriff: Josephine County Man Accused of Assault, Threats of Shooting
- Local Volunteers to Conduct Annual Homeless Count
- Bill Cosby Found Guilty on All Counts
- Oregon Woman Accused of Shooting Boyfriend
- A Ride Inside a Hot Air Balloon