UPDATE: 8:50 a.m.
CENTRAL POINT, Ore. – Deputies have identified 17-year-old Robert Bernard Ernst V, a student at North Medford High School, as the teen killed in the Foothill Road rollover crash. The school district has grief counselors on hand today to respond to students' needs.
CENTRAL POINT, Ore. – Jackson County Sheriff’s Office deputies are investigating a single-vehicle crash that claimed the life of a 17-year-old Medford boy on Sunday afternoon.
Deputies say excessive speed contributed to the crash.
Deputies responded to the 4900-block of North Foothill Road on April 15, 2018, at 2:15 p.m. The driver was the only person in the vehicle, a blue Toyota Camry. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Witnesses described seeing the vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed southbound on North Foothill Road between Corey Road and East Vilas Road. The vehicle drifted into the oncoming lane, and then veered back across the southbound lane and off the roadway. The vehicle struck a tree, rolled over, and came to rest on its top at the edge of an orchard.
An investigator with the Jackson County Medical Examiner’s Office responded to the location.
The driver’s next of kin have been notified of his death. His identity will not be released at this time to allow time for additional family members to be notified.
CENTRAL POINT, Ore. - Jackson County Sheriff's deputies have confirmed one person is dead in a Central Point rollover accident.
It happened on Foothill Road between East Vilas Road and Corey Road at around 2:15pm.
Deputies said the preliminary investigation shows the driver lost control of the car, overcorrected and veered off the road. The driver hit trees and rolled over into a ditch next to an orchard.
Deputies said eyewitnesses told them the driver was speeding. Deputies are investigating to see if speed was a factor.
Deputies are investigating the cause of the crash.
- UPDATE: Deputies Identify Teen Killed In Foothill Road Crash
- UPDATE: Name Released in Crash on North Foothill Road
- UPDATE: Deputies Identify Central Point Man Killed in Rollover Crash
- Woman Crashes Into Pole On North Foothill Road
- UPDATE: Police Identify the Motorcyclist Killed In Crash On N. Phoenix Road
- UPDATE: Sheriff: Teen Admits to Killing Relatives
- UPDATE: Police Identify Driver of Vehicle in Crash that Killed Eagle Point Girls
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in Fatal Grants Pass Crash
- UPDATE: Victim Identified In Single-Car Crash Near Robertson Bridge
- UPDATE: Police Identify Victims of Crash Between Motorcycle and Car