Science Experiment Burns the Faces of Three Students in Grants Pass

Only one student was transported to the hospital—it's unknown how severe the burns were.

Posted: Mar. 16, 2018 3:33 PM
Updated: Mar. 16, 2018 11:20 PM

GRANTS PASS, Ore. — Three students at Fleming Middle School in Grants Pass received flash burns to their faces after an accident with a science experiment. The classroom was evacuated temporarily until the combustible substance could be identified.

Scroll for more content...

Two of the students were evaluated at the scene and released to their parents, according to Rural Metro. A third student was transported to Three Rivers Hospital for treatment.

Rural Metro and Grants Pass Department of Public Safety determined that the substance was not hazardous, and advised school officials that there was no further danger.

School officials will be investigating the incident, according to Rural Metro. A statement from the fire department did not clarify what substance caused the combustion.

Article Comments

Medford
Clear
49° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 41°
Feels Like: 49°
Brookings
Clear
44° wxIcon
Hi: 59° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 44°
Crater Lake
Clear
36° wxIcon
Hi: 63° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 31°
Grants Pass
Clear
46° wxIcon
Hi: 70° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 46°
Klamath Falls
Clear
36° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 31°
Continued Warmth
KDRV Radar
KDRV Fire Danger
KDRV Weather Cam

Community Events