CURRY COUNTY, Ore -- The Curry County Sheriff's office might not have found Joshua Gillespie's body had it not been for some mushroom pickers. "They reported the body to the forest service, who got in touch with us," Detective David Gardiner said.
Gardiner said Gillespie was a regular with law enforcement in Curry County but in 2007, the sheriff's stopped seeing him around.
Incidentally, that's around the same time detective Gardiner said Gillespie started running with a bad crowd.
Two years later, Gillespie's body was found with serious wounds to his head. It was enough to get the sheriff's office looking for a murderer.
Gardiner traced back some of that bad crowd Gillespie was running to a central Oregon prison, but in an interview, the prisoner was so afraid of retribution, he wouldn't say anything. He did nod yes or no when he started asking questions.
"This guy knew...the people we were talking about, you don't snitch on," Gardiner said.
T Sheriff's Office has three suspects they are pretty sure killed Gillespie, but have no hard proof.
If you have any information into the case, contact the sheriff's department at 541-247-3246
- Unsolved: Joshua Gillespie (2007)
- Unsolved: Christopher Evans (2013)
- Unsolved: Gregory Bowles (2015)
- Unsolved: Kimberly Mericle (2017)
- Unsolved: Jeremy Bright (1986)
- Unsolved: Kattie Talbert (1998)
- Unsolved: Dwain Hodge (2014)
- Unsolved: Cindy King (1977)
- Unsolved: Sheron Cheney (1997)
- Unsolved: Troy Carney (2008)