«

»

Christmas Tree Ignites; Home is Saved

christmas safetyMEDFORD, Ore. — A family returned home last night from shopping to find smoke billowing out of their home. When they opened the door, it was their Christmas tree that had caught fire and the flames were quickly climbing to the ceiling. The family closed the door and called 911. It happened around 7:30 P.M. on the 700 block of Nita Lynne in Medford. Medford Fire crews responded and quickly extinguished the flames. No civilians or firefighters were injured.

Three fire engines and a Battalion Chief from Medford Fire-Rescue and one fire engine and the Battalion Chief from Jackson County Fire District 3 were dispatched to the scene. Medford Fire Investigators determined it was the wiring in a live Christmas tree that started the blaze. The tree was completely engulfed in flames with a hole burned through the floor of the living room.

The family will not be able to live in the home until the damage is repaired, according to Medford Fire-Rescue. Also, in addition to the tree, all the gifts underneath of it were destroyed as well.

Medford Fire-Rescue wants to remind the public that there are fire hazards associated with Christmas trees. They encourage the public to check out their website for tips on how to stay safe this holiday season: http://www.ci.medford.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=1079