High pressure will strengthen today and through the weekend this will bring abundant sunshine and unseasonably warm temperatures to inland areas and allow the marine layer to build at the coast this weekend. Also expect breezy winds at the coast through the weekend, peaking on Sunday and Monday. Highs for inland areas will climb 10 to 20 degrees above normal next week! With low to mid 80s on the east side and mid-90s for west side valleys!
A cut-off low will settle off the southern California coast next week, this coupled with hot weather will create instability and thus the potential for afternoon and evening thunderstorms by midweek. The limiting factor with be moisture and a trigger to get storms to build, but the instability is abundant. Stay tuned to Newswatch12 for the latest on the thunderstorm threat.
Fire season for Jackson and Josephine county begins on Monday as fire danger is upgraded to ‘Moderate.’ ODF’s restrictions that will go in effect on Monday, June 3 for ‘Moderate’ Fire Danger are as follows:
- Debris burning will be prohibited, except burn barrels for which a burn permit has been obtained from ODF or your local structural fire protection district. Burn barrel use will be completely prohibited beginning July 1;
- The use of fireworks on forestlands will be prohibited;
- Exploding targets and tracer ammunition, or any bullet with a pyrotechnic charge in its base, will be prohibited;
- In the Wild and Scenic section of the Rogue River between Grave creek and Marial:
- Camp fires must be in fire pans or on a fire blanket that is placed on sand or gravel bars between the river and the high water mark, and only in areas which are naturally free of flammable vegetation. Ashes must be hauled out;
- Smoking will be permitted on sand and gravel bars between the river and the high water mark, and only in areas naturally free of flammable vegetation, or in boats and rafts while on the river;
- Travelers must carry a shovel and a bucket with a capacity of at least one gallon;
- Commercial operations, such as timber harvesting conducted on forestlands will be required to have fire suppression equipment on the job site at all times. A watchman must also be provided.
Follow me on Facebook for more weather updates and to share your weather photos. Thanks for logging on and have a great weekend!
Meteorologist Megan Parry