Philomath-MarketPHILOMATH, Ore. – The Philomath Police Department is asking for the public’s help identifying the person who robbed a convenience store at gunpoint Tuesday night.

Police say a man, who they believe to be between the ages of 25-30, fired a shot inside the Philomath Market Outlet on Main Street in Philomath Tuesday night just before midnight. Investigators say they believe the man pulled the trigger to scare the cashier, then demanded cash from the register. They say he ran off on foot with an undisclosed amount of money.

Employees at the store say the gunshot put a hole in the wall, which they say investigators cut out to analyze. Police say nobody was injured. The Benton County Sheriff’s Office, the Corvallis Police Department, and Oregon State Police also responded to the scene Tuesday night to assist Philomath Police.

Investigators are still looking for the suspect, who they say is a white male. They say he was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, a black watch cap, blue jeans, and a dark bandana or scarf over the lower part of his face.

The store’s manager at Philomath Market is not commenting at this time.

“It makes your nerves uneasy that something like that would happen,” said Hector Nunez, who works at La Rockita, a Mexican restaurant next door to the market. “I can’t believe something like this would happen in a small community like this.”

Nunez and other neighboring businesses say the area is safe, and the robbery worries them.

“We’re just shocked,” Nunez said. “We’re a family business and we have our little ones here sometimes. We just hoped that something like this wouldn’t happen so close.”

Also next door to Philomath Market is Figaro’s Pizza. Both La Rockita and Figaro’s Pizza say they have security cameras. Figaro’s says it is brainstorming other security measures to take.

“To have this happen is just really scary,” said Amy Kesecker, Figaro’s owner. “I was honestly just scared to come to work – in the daytime.”

Police are asking the public for help identifying the suspect. Anyone who has any information is asked to contact the Philomath Police Department at 541-929-6911.

afghan deaths(CNN) — Police in Afghanistan say four Americans working at a hospital in downtown Kabul were shot by a police officer guarding the building.

Three of them died from their injuries, including a father and son. The guard later turned the gun on himself, but survived.

The motive for the attack is not clear. The country has seen a series of deadly attacks against foreigners in recent weeks.

VA WaldenGRANTS PASS, Ore.– A new clinic in Grants Pass is helping local veterans gain easier access to health care and resources.

Representatives Greg Walden and Ron Wyden were at the grand opening of The Grants Pass Community Based Outpatient Clinic on Thursday. The clinic has been open for three weeks, but Thursday was the official opening.

Primary Care, Portable Health Care, and Mental Health Care are now 30 to 60 miles closer to patients in need. Previously, the nearest location was in White City or Roseburg.

“Just makes it a lot more convenient for them to get care,” explained the chief of staff at the clinic, David Donnelly. “We are interconnected with all of the VA systems with all of our information and our health records. What we do in here we can access in White City, and they can help direct the care from here into specialty areas that are necessary”.

More than 60 veterans and community leaders were in attendance for Thursday’s opening event.

Keith BurnsCONCORD, N.H.– A New Hampshire man is pleading guilty in a child pornography case, for a victim in Jackson County. Keith Burns is facing charges in his home state of New Hampshire.

Jackson County investigators got a report March of last year, that a man was using Facebook to try to convince a 13-year-old girl to send him pornographic pictures of herself. The child’s parents brought it to the attention of local authorities, who then contacted the FBI.

Burns was previously convicted of sexually assaulting a minor and is required to register as a sex-offender. He could now face 15 years in prison.

 

video preview image

Medford, Ore. – During the cool spring days you may be thinking about planting some cool weather crops.  That includes peas.

There are a lot of different types of peas to plant including sugar, snap and snow peas.  OSU Master Gardeners say you can get a jump start by soaking the seeds overnight.  That will allow the seed to pre-sprout, before putting it in the ground.

For more information on what to do next, watch this “In the Garden” segment.

You can also call the OSU Master Gardener near you.

Jackson County - (541) 776-7371

Josephine County - (541) 476-6613

Klamath County - (541) 883-7131

Coos County - (541) 572-5263

Douglas County - (541) 672-4461

CunninghamROSEBURG, Ore. — A 30 year old man wanted on numerous felony and misdemeanor warrants out of Jackson, Douglas, and Lane counties was spotted near Roseburg yesterday.

Oregon State Police and the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office are now asking for the public’s help to find Hiram Samuel Cunningham of Sutherlin, considered dangerous.

Yesterday, they say he escaped police west of the Roseburg area after police recognized him driving a 2008 Chevrolet Impala four door with two other occupants.

Two passengers were later found and both people from Fossil were wanted on felony warrants out Wheeler County.

Cunningham is described as a white male, 6’2″, 170 pounds, with short brown hair and hazel eyes.

Police say he is known to wear disguises including a wig and reading style glasses to avoid being recognized and say he is known to carry firearms, is potentially violent, and has previously eluded arrest.

Law enforcement cautions the public to not approach Cunningham.

Contact police if you have any information.

 

cover oregon 1MEDFORD, Ore. — Cover Oregon has just announced they are scrapping the website and moving to the federal exchange.

Late Thursday morning, a technology committee made that final recommendation for the future of Cover Oregon’s troubled health insurance exchange.

A consultant’s report said the glitches were due largely to a lack of oversight by Oregon officials.

NewsWatch12 will have more on this big announcement, Tonight at 5.

EllingtonCAVE JUNCTION, Ore. — A 22-year old man is behind bars today after an altercation and stabbing occurred Wednesday afternoon in Cave Junction. At about 4:23 p.m., an altercation broke out between two men who lived in separate trailers at 5646 Rockydale Rd. in Cave Junction. During the altercation, Brian F. Ellington Jr. allegedly stabbed Josh Nelson, 27. Nelson’s injuries were not life threatening, according to Oregon State Police (OSP).

A 911 call was sent to OSP Southern Comman Center and OSP troopers were dispatched to the area to assist medical personnel and start an investigation. Both men were transported by ambulance to Asante Three Rivers Medical Center in Grants Pass.

Oregon State Police detectives responded to the hospital to contact both men. An investigation led detectives to arrest Ellington for Assault in the Second degree and Unlawful Use/Carrying a Dangerous Weapon. Ellington was lodged in the Josephine County Jail. Nelson was treated and released.

malaysia(CNN) — Families of Flight 370 passengers are taking a new step in their desperate search for information on what happened to their loved ones: turning to a U.S. company.

While pushing Malaysian authorities for answers, “we’re also extending our reach now,” Sarah Bajc, partner of passenger Philip Wood, told CNN on Thursday.

“There is a subset of those questions, including some new ones, that are much more technical that we will be bringing directly to Boeing. Boeing has a shareholders meeting next week. And if we’re not getting information directly from Malaysia Airlines and from the Malaysian government, we might as well try to go directly to the source.

“Boeing is a publicly traded company in the United States, and that puts them in a position of a little bit more fiduciary responsibility,” she said on “New Day.”

The missing flight is a Boeing 777.

Asked for a response, Boeing sent CNN a written statement: “Our thoughts and deepest sympathies continue to be with the families and loved ones of those aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. Boeing continues to serve as a technical adviser to the U.S. National Transportation Board, and in that role we have been an active and engaged party to the investigation.”

Bajc’s announcement came after the Malaysian government did not release its preliminary report on the flight’s disappearance. The report was sent to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), the U.N. body for global aviation, but not made available to the public.

“They seem to be choosing to treat us as if we are the enemy as opposed to an interested party in helping to solve this mystery,” Bajc said.

“We need a fresh start here,” she added. “We’ve been sitting on opposite sides of the table. They have a briefing, they tell us what they know and we ask them questions. That’s just kind of broken. I think we need to start from scratch and sit down and have a positive dialogue.”

Families that are leaders within the group would be willing to sign confidentiality agreements to see the report, she said.

Families don’t “necessarily believe” that the Malaysian authorities are “withholding any new information other than the facts that we’ve already asked for,” she added.

A committee representing some of the Chinese families have posted 26 questions on the Chinese social media site Weibo.

Usually, such reports to the ICAO are public, says CNN aviation correspondent Richard Quest.

“In most cases, the report is published because it’s not a controversial document,” he said. “It’s a statement of facts — what happened. And if there are any controversial or difficult facts, they can be redacted.”

Malaysia has insisted it has nothing to hide and is working to find answers. Government officials said they have not yet decided whether they will make the report public.

The ICAO told CNN about a safety recommendation in the report: Malaysia said the aviation world needs to look at real-time tracking of commercial aircraft.

It’s the same recommendation that was made after the Air France Flight 447 disaster in 2009. But “nothing seems to have happened,” Quest said. “To suggest in the future that all planes worldwide are tracked in real time, one might suggest, is a pretty noncontroversial suggestion.”

As an underwater drone keeps going up and back down, so do hopes that evidence of the plane may be found.

A metal object that washed ashore in Western Australia and sparked the curiosity of investigators Wednesday turned out to be unrelated.

And while the Bluefin-21 plunged into the Indian Ocean for its 12th mission Thursday, no one was certain the drone would find anything new.

“I think the chances are one out of 10,” said Jules Jaffe, research oceanographer for the Marine Physical Laboratory.

The underwater probe has already scanned 90% of the designated search area, with no significant results.

Thursday marks day 48 of the search for the plane, which disappeared on March 8 on a flight from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to Beijing with 239 people on board.

What’s next?

Malaysian and Australian authorities are mapping out a long-term strategy for the search, which could go on for months or years.

An expanded search area might include the last 370 miles (595 kilometers) of the plane’s flight path, ocean search specialist Rob McCallum said.

“If the idea is to go more strategic and investigate the entire aircraft flight path, maybe 15 miles or so either side, then you need a more strategic tool, and something like a deep-towed sonar that can provide a very large range indeed — at the expense of resolution.”

The use of a deep-towed submersible device called the Orion is overdue, said Geoffrey Thomas, managing director of AirlineRatings.com.

“That should be brought in as quickly as possible, again, from the United States.”

He said it may be time to go back and revisit the calculations of where the plane may be, although officials have already been doing that.

“This is not an exact science,” Thomas said. “We have to understand that.”

Why so private?

Malaysia has not been known as a model of transparency. The same political party has ruled the country for past 50 years, and the media is not completely free.

For its part, the Malaysian Cabinet has agreed to have an international team investigate the disappearance of Flight 370, the country’s acting transportation minister said.

Hishammuddin Hussein said the names of the members will be announced next week. He also said the team will not be looking into the criminal aspects of the investigation, which remain under the Royal Malaysian Police.

“The main purpose is to evaluate and determine the cause of the accident,” Hishammuddin said.

EspinosaDeloy[UPDATE April 24] A third person was arrested in connection to the stabbing in Medford Tuesday night. Deloy Espinosa was arrested during a traffic stop on Riverside Avenue around 6:30p.m. Medford police say they believe Espinosa could be the stabber. The victim remains in stable condition at Providence Medical Center.

[UPDATE 3:10 PM] Medford Police have just reported that officers have arrested another suspect in connection with this overnight stabbing. The suspect is a juvenile and therefore Police are not releasing a name or picture of the suspect. Medford Police said they are still searching for three, possibly even four, more suspects related to the case. We will have the latest details at 5 and 6 p.m.

MEDFORD, Ore. – Medford detectives are looking for more suspects who may be involved in an overnight stabbing that sent one person to the hospital.

It happened on the 200 block of Elm Street in Medford at about 10 o’clock Tuesday night.

Officers learned that the victim, who lives at the address on Elm Street,
was involved in a verbal dispute with some associates of a neighbor, who
the victim confronted for being loud. The victim came outside of his home
and was assaulted by several subjects. Immediately after the assault, the
victim realized he had been stabbed and was taken to the hospital by a
witness who was on scene.

Police said the 39-year-old victim was stabbed in the upper body and head area, and is recovering from surgery. Police confirmed that they had one suspect in custody.

Medford detectives continued their search for more suspects Wednesday morning. Medford Police contacted 18 year old Lucas Carstens, who was on  foot in the area. Evidence linked him to the assault and he was interviewed. Detectives lodged Carstens for two counts of Assault. Police believe several other suspects are outstanding.

Police are asking anyone with information about this case to call (541)770-4783.

Older posts «